We are an independent non-profit newsroom that develops investigative journalism – a public interest task that promotes free, capable media and open, accountable, just democracy.
We do so via:
Investigations: Developing best practice by doing stories that are accurate and fair, advance methods and standards, expose wrongdoing and empower people to hold power to account.
Investigations support: Helping others do it too via editorial collaboration and training.
Advocacy: Campaigning, exercising laws and litigating to help secure the information rights – access to information and media freedoms – that are the lifeblood of our field.
We are based in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town. We publish via www.amabhungane.org and a range of publication partners. We pay our bills from reader contributions – our amaB Supporters – and foundational grants.
We are looking to appoint a digital coordinator to work in our digital publication portfolio.
The ideal candidate is highly skilled at all aspects of digital newsroom publication.
The position requires a digitally-savvy innovator who is self-motivated, able to project manage, and communicates well.
Purpose: To coordinate all aspects of amaBhungane’s digital publication and digital footprint.
Key responsibilities (that a successful candidate must be able and willing to do):
- Publishing: Serve as amaBhungane’s inhouse publisher and managing all external publication processes with publication partners and the amaB journalists and editor.
- Website: Manage amabhungane.org, working with our various service providers.
- Multimedia: Produce graphics and videos to accompany investigative stories and to amplify the impact of our investigations through social media.
- Social Media: Manage all amaBhungane’s social media, create content and developing campaigns.
Additional responsibilities (that would be a bonus for the team):
- Digital strategy: Help amaBhungane to develop a digital and brand strategy.
- Analytics: Gathering user and statistical data relevant to our publication platforms (website, email newsletter, WhatsApp, social media), drawing on Google Analytics, Mailchimp, social media insight tools, subscriber records, etc.
- Data: Collate, dissect and interpret the data, using appropriate databases/dashboards, to help the journalists uncover investigative insights.
- Supporter journey: Collate, dissect and interpret potential and existing amaB Supporter data from our digital and giving platforms, making it accessible and actionable to facilitate amaB Supporter journeying and experiences, identify trends and inform fundraising strategies. Assist the operating coordinator with various digital processes including Supporter stewardship. Conduct online surveys better to know reader and amaB Supporter expectations and feed into these processes.
- Tools: Experiment with and implement new tools and technologies to assist the newsroom, and champion innovation.
- Platforms: Help to develop an innovative resource platform for our tip-offs.
- Troubleshoot: Data/digital emergencies and longer-term challenges.
- Full range of digital competencies including website management – specifically WordPress; newsletter management – specifically MailChimp; graphics and video creation.
- Proficiency in or demonstrable ability to master Google Analytics, social media insight tools, Mailchimp, etc.
- Ability to think analytically and solve problems, self-motivate, and work both on your own and in team context.
The successful applicant will preferably be based in Johannesburg and will report to the managing partner.
A competitive remuneration package is offered.
Please email your CV and a short letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org by 26 March 2023. The CV and letter should speak to the above criteria.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.