Data Analyst (Digital Marketer)
We are an independent non-profit newsroom that develops investigative journalism – a public interest task that promotes free, capable media and open, accountable, just democracy.
We do so via:
Investigations: Developing best practice by doing stories that are accurate and fair, advance methods and standards, expose wrongdoing and empower people to hold power to account.
Investigations support: Helping others do it too via editorial collaboration and training.
Advocacy: Campaigning, exercising laws and litigating to help secure the information rights – access to information and media freedoms – that are the lifeblood of our field.
We are based in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town. We publish via amaBhungane.org and a range of publication partners. We pay our bills from reader contributions – our amaB Supporters – and foundational grants.
We are looking to appoint a data & digital analyst to work across our digital publication and operating portfolios. The ideal candidate is highly skilled at collecting and managing data from various platforms and interpreting it to inform publication and managerial strategies. The position requires a digitally-savvy innovator who is self-motivated and communicates well.
This is a new role.
Purpose: To provide the team with data and digital support.
Digital publication portfolio – supporting the team with data and insight to serve and grow our readership
- Gather user and statistical data relevant to our publication platforms (website, email newsletter, WhatsApp, social media) drawing on Google Analytics, Mailchimp, social media insight tools, subscriber records, etc
- Collate, dissect and interpret the data, using appropriate databases/dashboards, making it accessible and actionable to serve readers better and inform publication strategies
- Assist the digital coordinator with publication processes
- Experiment with and implement new tools and technologies
- A plus if you can do it: Produce data embeds, visualisations and graphics to accompany investigative stories on our website
Operating portfolio – supporting management with data and insight to serve and grow our supporter base
- Gather potential and existing amaB Supporter data from our digital and giving platforms
- Collate, dissect and interpret the data, using appropriate databases/dashboards, making it accessible and actionable to facilitate amaB Supporter journeying and experiences, identify trends and inform fundraising strategies
- Generate ideas for and help implement strategies to build our brand
- Assist the operating coordinator with various processes including Supporter stewardship
- Conduct online surveys better to know reader and amaB Supporter expectations and feed into the above processes
- Troubleshoot data/digital emergencies and longer term challenges, working with external service providers where necessary
- Champion innovation
- Ability to think analytically and solve problems, self-motivate, and work both on your own and in team context
- Proficiency in spreadsheets (MS Excel, Google Sheets) and cloud-based databases (familiarity with customer relations management systems a definite plus)
- Proficiency in or demonstrable ability to master Google Analytics, social media insight tools, Mailchimp, etc
The successful applicant will preferably be based in Johannesburg; will support the digital and operating coordinators; and will report to the managing partners.
A competitive remuneration package is offered. Individuals from a previously disadvantaged background are encouraged to apply.
Please email your CV and a short letter of motivation to email@example.com by 30 June 2021. The CV and letter should speak to the above criteria. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.